Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 21:31:19 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Upgrading for idiots?

At 04:52 PM 3/17/97 -0800, Doug White wrote:
>On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Philip Crewdson wrote:
>
>> Could anyone be really kind and sketch out what's involved in upgrading?
>> (I'm currently on 2.1.5R).

--snip--

>FreeBSD Upgrade Checklist for 2.2:
>
>1)  Boot the new floppy.  Select the 'update' option.  Follow the prompts.

--snip--

>5)  Reboot, recompile & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy.

Wouldn't a 'make world' be in order then?  Seeing as one is going from
2.1.5 to 2.2 and the kernel has been tweaked.

One thing I must say seems to be lacking is advice on when to do a make
world and where for that matter.  I'll presume /usr/src .

One system here went from 2.1.0 -> 2.1.7 and I should have it a 2.2 soon,
so I a bit curious and searches on the site and archive give no clue.

Was going to post this separate, but found I could "ride" this tread.  ;-)

Thanks,

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990