Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 14:09:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alban Hertroys <dalroi@wit401310.student.utwente.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   man nice(1)

Is it just me or is the man page for nice in error?

It says I have to specify a nice value of (+)20 as "nice -20" and a nice
value of -20 as "nice --20".

running "nice -20" results in a nice value of -20, though,
while "nice --20" says:
	nice: Badly formed number.

Eventually it turned out I had to do "nice +20" ...
The man page of renice does state the nice value parameters correctly,
which causes a confusing difference between the two commands.

This is with a somewhat older 4.0-STABLE.
I found this when trying a buildworld "nicely", as my system hottens up
a tiny bit to much somewhere (probably my pci viper550 with bad fan)
causing spontaneous reboots after a couple of hours.

--

Alban Hertroys                              http://wit401310.student.utwente.nl