Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:01:27 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spacing (again) in handbook with netscape

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

Dima Dorfman said on Jul 12, 2001 at 02:45:03:

> If we were going to redo all of the documents to follow this paradigm,
> I'd agree.  Since we're not, I think it's more important to remain
> consistent.  And it's not that bad.  Although it's somewhat incorrect,
> you'll often see things like this in our documents:
>
> 	<para>This is the begnning of our paragraph.  To get a listing
> 		   of a directory, we could use,</para>

> 	<para>although</para>

> 	<para>works too.  This is the conclusion of our paragraph.</para>
>
> Those <screen>'s really belong inside the paragraph, but it doesn't
> look too bad this way, even if it isn't entirely correct.

True.  It would look bad, however, if the paras were indented.  What
does the pdf version look like?  (I couldn't generate it for some
reason.)

Anyway, I agree about remaining consistent, and in this case it's
probably ok to break up the different paras anyway.  I'm attaching the
patch (for x11/chapter.sgml).

Thanks - R

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

*** chapter.sgml	Thu Jul 12 11:50:48 2001
--- chapter.sgml	Thu Jul 12 11:57:10 2001
***************
*** 1552,1574 ****

      <para>To install the above Type1 font collections, all you have
!     to do is
  <screen>
  &prompt.root; <userinput>cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/urwfonts</userinput>
!     and likewise with the freefont or other collections.  To tell the X server
      that these fonts exist, you can add an appropriate line
      to your <filename>XF86Config</filename> file (in
      <filename>/etc/</filename> for <application>XFree86</application>
      version 3, or in <filename>/etc/X11/</filename> for version 4),
!     which reads
  <screen> FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW/" </screen>
!     Alternatively, at the command line in your X session you can write
  <screen>
  &prompt.user; <userinput>xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW</userinput>
  &prompt.user; <userinput>xset fp rehash</userinput>
  </screen>
!     This will work but will be lost when you log out from this
      session, unless you add it to your startup file
      (<filename>~/.xinitrc</filename> for a normal startx session,
      or <filename>~/.xsession</filename> when logging in through a
--- 1552,1582 ----

      <para>To install the above Type1 font collections, all you have
!     to do is</para>
!
  <screen>
  &prompt.root; <userinput>cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/urwfonts</userinput>
!
!     <para>and likewise with the freefont or other
!     collections.  To tell the X server
      that these fonts exist, you can add an appropriate line
      to your <filename>XF86Config</filename> file (in
      <filename>/etc/</filename> for <application>XFree86</application>
      version 3, or in <filename>/etc/X11/</filename> for version 4),
!     which reads</para>
!
  <screen> FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW/" </screen>
!
!     <para>Alternatively, at the command line in your X session
!     you can write</para>
!
  <screen>
  &prompt.user; <userinput>xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW</userinput>
  &prompt.user; <userinput>xset fp rehash</userinput>
  </screen>
!
!     <para>This will work but will be lost when you log out from this
      session, unless you add it to your startup file
      (<filename>~/.xinitrc</filename> for a normal startx session,
      or <filename>~/.xsession</filename> when logging in through a
***************
*** 1588,1596 ****
      in this example because it is more consistent with the other font
      rendering backends. To enable the freetype module just add the
      following line to the module section of your
!     <filename>/etc/X11/XF86Config</filename> file.
  <screen>Load  "freetype"</screen>
-     </para>

      <para>For <application>XFree86</application> 3.3.X you will need
        to run a separate TrueType font
--- 1596,1604 ----
      in this example because it is more consistent with the other font
      rendering backends. To enable the freetype module just add the
      following line to the module section of your
!
  <screen>Load  "freetype"</screen>

      <para>For <application>XFree86</application> 3.3.X you will need
        to run a separate TrueType font
***************
*** 1616,1625 ****

      <para>Now you need to add your TrueType directory to your fonts
        path. This is just the same as described above for <link
!       linkend="type1">Type1</link> fonts, that is, use

      <para>That's it. Now Netscape, Gimp, StarOffice, and all of your
        other X applications should now recognize your installed
--- 1624,1636 ----

      <para>Now you need to add your TrueType directory to your fonts
        path. This is just the same as described above for <link
!       linkend="type1">Type1</link> fonts, that is, use</para>
!
!
!       file.</para>

      <para>That's it. Now Netscape, Gimp, StarOffice, and all of your
        other X applications should now recognize your installed
***************
*** 1644,1654 ****
        advanced things can be done with this file; this section
        describes only the simplest possibilities.</para>

!      <para>First, you need to tell the X server about the fonts which you
        want anti-aliased. To do that, for each font directory you have
!       a line, which looks like
  <screen>dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Type1"</screen>
!       and likewise for the other font directories (URW, truetype, etc)
        containing fonts you'd like anti-aliased.  Anti-aliasing makes
        sense only for scalable fonts (basically, Type1 and TrueType) so
        don't include bitmap font directories here.  The
--- 1655,1665 ----
        advanced things can be done with this file; this section
        describes only the simplest possibilities.</para>

!    <para>First, you need to tell the X server about the fonts which you
        want anti-aliased. To do that, for each font directory you have
!       a line, which looks like</para>
  <screen>dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Type1"</screen>
!    <para> and likewise for the other font directories (URW, truetype, etc)
        containing fonts you'd like anti-aliased.  Anti-aliasing makes
        sense only for scalable fonts (basically, Type1 and TrueType) so
        don't include bitmap font directories here.  The
***************
*** 1660,1666 ****
        small text more readable and removes "staircases" from large text,
        but can cause eyestrain if applied to normal text.)  To exclude
        point sizes between 9 and 13 from anti-aliasing, include the
!       lines
  <screen>
  match
    any size > 8
--- 1671,1677 ----
        small text more readable and removes "staircases" from large text,
        but can cause eyestrain if applied to normal text.)  To exclude
        point sizes between 9 and 13 from anti-aliasing, include the
!       lines</para>
  <screen>
  match
    any size > 8
***************
*** 1668,1705 ****
  edit
    antialias = false;
  </screen>
!        You may also find that the spacing for some monospaced fonts
         gets messed up when you turn on anti-aliasing.  This seems to
         be an issue with KDE, in particular.  One possible fix for this
         is to force the spacing for such fonts to be 100: add the
!        following lines
  <screen>
  match any family == "fixed"      edit family =+ "mono";
  match any family == "console"    edit family =+ "mono";
  </screen>
!        (this aliases the other common names for fixed fonts as "mono"),
!        and then
  <screen>
  match any family == "mono" edit spacing = 100;
  </screen>
!        Supposing you want to use the Lucidux fonts whenever monospaced
         fonts are required (these look nice, and don't seem to suffer
         from the spacing problem), you could replace that last line
!        with
  <screen>
  match any family == "mono"       edit family += "LuciduxMono";
  match any family == "Lucidux Mono"      edit family += "LuciduxMono";
  match any family == "LuciduxMono"       edit family =+ "Lucidux Mono";
  </screen>
!        (the last lines alias different equivalent family names).</para>

         <para>Finally, you want to allow users to add commands to this
          file, via their personal <filename>.xftconfig</filename>
!         files.  To do this, add a last line,
  <screen>
  includeif  "~/.xftconfig"
  </screen>
-        </para>

         <para>That's all; anti-aliasing should be enabled the next
          time you start the X server.  However, note that your programs must
--- 1679,1716 ----
  edit
    antialias = false;
  </screen>
!     <para>You may also find that the spacing for some monospaced fonts
         gets messed up when you turn on anti-aliasing.  This seems to
         be an issue with KDE, in particular.  One possible fix for this
         is to force the spacing for such fonts to be 100: add the
!        following lines</para>
  <screen>
  match any family == "fixed"      edit family =+ "mono";
  match any family == "console"    edit family =+ "mono";
  </screen>
!      <para>(this aliases the other common names for fixed fonts as "mono"),
!        and then</para>
  <screen>
  match any family == "mono" edit spacing = 100;
  </screen>
!      <para>Supposing you want to use the Lucidux fonts whenever monospaced
         fonts are required (these look nice, and don't seem to suffer
         from the spacing problem), you could replace that last line
!        with</para>
  <screen>
  match any family == "mono"       edit family += "LuciduxMono";
  match any family == "Lucidux Mono"      edit family += "LuciduxMono";
  match any family == "LuciduxMono"       edit family =+ "Lucidux Mono";
  </screen>
!      <para>(the last lines alias different equivalent family names).</para>

         <para>Finally, you want to allow users to add commands to this
          file, via their personal <filename>.xftconfig</filename>
!         files.  To do this, add a last line:<para>
!
  <screen>
  includeif  "~/.xftconfig"
  </screen>

         <para>That's all; anti-aliasing should be enabled the next
          time you start the X server.  However, note that your programs must

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf--