Date:      Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:05:24 +1000
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Allen <SlackWareWolf@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.x era

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

On Saturday, 24 September 2011 at 23:09:09 -0400, Allen wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:47:38 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
>
>> Indeed it was. Back in those days, they didn't jump a major version
>> number every three or four releases. They polished and polished and
>> POLISHED each version of the OS. The 4.x branch reached
>> 4.11-RELEASE before it was shut down, and 5.x was nowhere near as
>> good. Wish they'd pick a branch (8-STABLE or 9-STABLE) and do this
>> again.

As you (Brett) should have known, the reason we did that was because
of the enormous upheaval that 5.x represented.  And we knew in advance
that we'd have problems with 5.x as a result.  We had already
recognized the folly of keeping the same release too long with 2.x.
For more background look at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jun2000.php#15

> I remember those times too. In fact I still have my 4.0 - 4.11 CDs
> in my BSD binder. I too Hope that they go back to those Ultra-Stable
> super OSs. At least that's the way I think of it; a Super OS; That's
> exactly what I think of when I think of FreeBSD 4.0.

Do you find 8.x less stable?  But if you want 4.x again, take a look
at DragonFly.  That grew out of Matt Dillon's disagreement with the
direction we took for 5.x (and thus all subsequent FreeBSD releases).

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer
Finger grog@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.