Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 10:25:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Monotonic" counter/register call - commit candidate.

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Mike Smith wrote:
> > On a somewhat related note, I could use something to measure time
> > that wasn't a system call in the threads library.  Is there a way
> > we can get a timer or something that was mmap'able?
>
> You could probably arrange for some portion of the timecounter space to
> be mapped read-only into userspace.  How precise does it need to be?

Scheduling tick resolution or better.  I would like to use it for
waking up threads that are in states that timeout.  The smallest
resolution would be for something like pthread_cond_timedwait()
which is timespec (nanosecs), but we don't need to be that resolute.
Right now we use gettimeofday().

--
Dan Eischen