Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:34:20 +0100
From:      "Chris Phillips" <Chris@furrie.net>
To:        "'Konrad Scorciapino'" <konrad@scorciapino.org>, <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Problems with the list

-----Original Message-----
Hi,
I am getting a lot of error messages when sending emails to the mailing
list.
Here are some exemples:
Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours
From:
Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@ensim.com>
To:
<konrad@scorciapino.org>
Date:
Yesterday 22:00:25
    **      THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY      **
    **  YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE  **
The original message was received at Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:46:27 -0300
from 200-161-254-212.dsl.telesp.net.br [200.161.254.212]
   ----- The following addresses had transient non-fatal errors -----
<freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
... while talking to mx1.freebsd.org.:
>>> RCPT To:<freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
<<< 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname,
[216.12.211.199]
<freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>... Deferred: 450 Client host rejected:
cannot
find your hostname, [216.12.211.199]
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

Is this a problem with my mail service or with the list?

***

Hello there,

** Your mail service does not have a PTR record **

I searched on Google, using the error that you were given: "450 Client
host rejected: cannot find your hostname" & the third link I got, gave
me the answer you need.

http://www.velocity.net/fixmail/

I know that velocity are unlikely to be the providers of your email
service but this page does explain pretty well what the problem is.

The FreeBSD mailing-lists perform a reversed DNS check on incoming mail
connections, dropping them if it can't resolve the mailservers IP to a
name, or obtains a result that doesn't figure.

HTH

Chris Phillips
http://www.furrie.net/

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)