Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 2002 06:22:12 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
Cc:        bsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question on CVSuping ports for first time on a system

Ian Moore wrote:

> Hi,
> I've got a query about CVSuping the ports collection for the first time on a
> system. According to
> /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/cvsup-advanced/examples.html you
> should use  *default tag=<shipping-date-of-your-release> for the first CVSup
> to create the ports checkouts file.
> I used tag=2002.06.11.09.02.00 for 4.6-R, so my cvsup file looked like
> *default tag=2002.06.11.09.02.00
> #*default tag=.
> *default host=cvsup.au.FreeBSD.org
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> ports-all
>
> When I tried that, cvsup deleted all my ports. Obviously this is not right!
> The example cvsup file in /usr/obj/examples and the Handbook don't mention
> this at all, they just say use tag=. for the ports collection.
> Using tag=. seems to work correctly.
>
> I'm just wondering, is that correct, or should I do something else the first
> time?

The ports don't follow a release. They follow current or "tag=.". If
you want the ports for a date, you have to use the date option. There
have also been a lot of fixes since 4.6 was released. Files available
when 4.6 was released may no longer be available to download.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA