Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 23:03:50 -0700
From:      "Seamus.Venasse" <Seamus.Venasse@polaris.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Why FreeBSD over Redhat Linux?

Hi Earle!

> Do you have any articles that cover the question "Why FreeBSD 4.3 over
Redhat Linux 7"?

To find an answer to this question, please refer to
http://www.freebsd.org/news/press.html on the main FreeBSD website.  Just do
a search on the page for "Linux", and you will find articles for
comparisons.

Personally, I like your specific question instead of a generic, "Why FreeBSD
over Linux?", since Linux is just a kernel, and RedHat a distribution.  I
would like to share some of the benefits I am enjoying since I moved to
FreeBSD from RedHat.

I've used RedHat since 1996, and I thought it was the cat's meow, especially
compared to the BBSs I setup in DOS.  I cut my teeth on RedHat as my
introduction into how a UNIX-like OS works.  I liked the fact that, while
using RPMs, I could instantly see what packages I had installed on my
system.  I also found that if an RPM requires a dependency package, I would
have to find and install that RPM, before continuing on with the first RPM.
Since my requirements were that of an ISP, I compiled all my necessary
services, such as Apache, manually, as I was not comfortable about a binary
Apache install.

Last summer I started to play around with FreeBSD.  It had a different
install method, in that it allowed me to choose a simple or detailed method
of installation.  I very much fell in love with the jail subsystem as I
could use one box, but separate processes for added security.  Also, much
like the RPMs in RedHat, I could instantly see what ports I had installed.
The difference however, was that if a port required a dependency, the port
would install the dependency and then continue.  Also, since I could see how
each port was being built, I now use a port for my Apache build.  I moved
all my servers to FreeBSD by Christmas.

At my daytime work, I am required to use RedHat as the choice for our
servers, when we don't have to use NT.  Recently we decided to upgrade our
boundary email server from RedHat 6.2 to RedHat 7.2.  This turned out to be
complete chaos!  The RPM for BIND 9 required OpenSSL v1.x, while the RPM for
OpenSSH required OpenSSL v2.x.  To make matters worse, we couldn't install
two different versions of the same RPM, even though it was two different
versions of OpenSSL.  The new RPMs were installing libraries in either /lib,
/usr/lib, or /usr/local/lib.  This upgrade took four days, and the server is
still limping along.  This is a major downfall for binary distributions,
much like DLL problems on Windows.

I decided to do that same operation for my own FreeBSD servers, which
function the same as my RedHat servers at my daytime work.  I upgraded from
FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE to 4.3-STABLE, using a remote SSH connection.  The
upgrade took 3 hours, with the majority of time spent downloading the new
CVS source tree.  Although I am not using BIND 9 on my FreeBSD servers,
there were no library conflicts.  After a reboot, I was successfully running
FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE.

> Does FreeBSD have a graphical installation process?

The FreeBSD installation is CUI based, not GUI, just like if you were to
type "text" while booting up the RedHat installation.

Seamus