Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 23:02:27 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "James E.Hall" <paavaka@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 q's: X and console

On Friday 05 October 2001 21:14, James E.Hall wrote:
> Hello.
>
> 1)  I recently installed FreeBSD and I can't seem to get X to start. I
> tried everything in the Handbook... I added an entry to /etc/ttys and I
> wrote a shell script to start up xdm, trying it first in rc.local and then
> with rc.d. When I enable xdm in /etc/ttys xdm WILL start... but nothing
> happens. The process shows up but I don't get the graphical login. I
> actually don't want the graphical login, but I will live with it if this is
> the only way to get X to start with a secure setting. The process will not
> start when I use rc.local, but it will with rc.d. However, when I use this
> approach xdm blanks my screen, trying to pop up the graphical display. But
> it cannot. Control is then passed back to the console. After doing the
> above, I try to start my X-session with 'startx'. I get the error (when
> root): "xf860penConsole: KDENABIO failed (Operation not permitted)." This
> is the error that I was trying to avoid by starting xdm in the first place.
> If I log in as a regular user, I get the error:
> "_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
>  _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: ...server already running"
> Any suggestions? One thought of mine is that it may not be starting because
> my XF86 setup is wrong... when I went through the graphical setup program
> the last screen started flashing REALLY fast... the display looked fine,
> otherwise, but.... I do have the specs for my card and monitor, so it
> SHOULD have been okay.

Ok, well, the best advice is to walk before you try to run.

First, take the xdm stuff out and reboot just to make sure that you are
starting from a clean slate.

Then run as root to avoid permission problems.

This will probably run into the

xf860penConsole: KDENABIO failed (Operation not permitted)."

problem, but we're losing the xdm and rebooting to verify that.

Now, I didn't know didly about KDENABIO, but I did a Google search, and on
the first page I found this:

http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/faq/08.02.shtml

. . . so you need to reduce your security level.  Apparnetly, if you want to
run a super-secure server, you can't run X; if you want to run X, you can't
run a super-secure server.  Not terribly surprising when you think about it.

You'll have to choose.

> 2) Is there any way to make the console look nicer? I really don't mind the
> comand line as long as the screen isn't an awful shade of grey, and the
> font isn't so big. With Slackware 7.1 the setup program detected that I
> could use a nice screen buffer and setup the OS to use it... it was nice:
> black screen and small crystal clear type. Is there anyway to get this same
> effect with FreeBSD?

Hmm . . my consoles in FreeBSD always look ok (though the letters are real
big).

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------