Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:26:57 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thank you!

Boris Spirialitious writes:

BS> Oh, but I do understand! FreeBSD is not good choice for companies
BS> that need support for the latest hardware.

It's not a question of latest, it's a question of which hardware.
FreeBSD, like all operating systems, targets a broad but not universal
user base, and so the mix of hardware that it supports doesn't cover
every conceivable device, although it will naturally overlap for the
most part with any other OS.

For example, given the predominance of FreeBSD as a heavy-duty server (a
quick check of the Web will readily show that FreeBSD is being used all
over the place), I'd expect to see relatively weak support for joysticks
and game accessories, and relatively strong support for backup devices
and terminals. I'd expect to see the opposite with Linux, which is
heavily promoted as a desktop OS.

I use FreeBSD as a straight server OS, and it seems to support whatever
devices I care to connect to it in that capacity.  I don't have very
exotic requirements, though.

It is also true that the more widely used and/or better funded an OS is,
the more devices it usually supports.  Many people are trying to make
money with Linux, so they get it to support more devices; and it has a
large user base, which encourages more people and companies to volunteer
hardware support.  Windows is in a similar position.  Even with Windows,
though, you see differences: NT-based systems traditionally have had
better support for server-oriented devices (like FreeBSD), whereas
consumer versions of Windows emphasized game ports, fancy video cards,
and the like.

Currently I consider FreeBSD the best available choice for a server, and
if it weren't for FreeBSD, I'd probably select one of the other
open-source BSDs. Linux is too incoherent and desktop-oriented today for
heavy server use, IMO. And if I want a pure desktop, I just run Windows.

For companies with a minimal IT staff, I'd recommend Windows 2000 for
servers in most cases.  If they have a qualified IT staff, I might
suggest some commercial flavor of UNIX.  If they have a very qualified
IT staff, I might suggest FreeBSD.  The reason for requiring the
qualified IT staff for FreeBSD is not that FreeBSD is any less reliable
than the other choices; it's just that FreeBSD has no formal support
structure that one can call at 3 AM to fix a broken server, whereas
commercial OS publishers usually do (even then, if the staff is really
clueless, it's safest for them to avoid any type of UNIX entirely).  For
desktops, I always recommend Windows.

--
Anthony