Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2003 09:59:49 -0800
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        massey@rmci.net
Cc:        <la3sg@sensewave.com>, <junkmail@sensewave.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mysql323-server -- can't connect remotely

Okay, I figured it out.  It had absolutely nothing to do with user
permissions.  It was, amazingly, tcpwrappers that was causing the
problem.  I discovered a ton of log entries like the following in my
Security Output email:

Mar  7 00:22:11 lilbuddy inetd[968]: refused connection from
192.168.1.1, service auth (tcp)

I edited /etc/hosts.allow and uncommented

ALL : ALL : allow

from the top of it.  Sure enough, mysql connections with a -h specified
started working!  Now, I couldn't quite figure out why connections
where being stopped.  The log entries seem to indicate it has something
to do with auth, but here's the auth line from my /etc/hosts.allow:

auth : ALL : allow

I decided to add the following to /etc/hosts.allow:

mysqld: ALL : allow

That did it.  It works fine now.

Apparently this is normal, as I've now found some websites that mention
needing to tweak /etc/hosts.allow for mysqld.  I'm amazed that this
isn't in the mysql manual though.  Ridiculous.  Perhaps this is fairly
new?

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 03:18  PM, <massey@rmci.net> wrote:

> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Adding_users.html
>

>>> I have /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server installed, and it is up
>>> and  running.  If I do:

>>> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
>>> Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 3.23.55
>>>
>>> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>>>
>>> mysql>
>>>

>>> It works fine.  However, if I do:

>>> ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
>>>
>> Do you have an entry for 'lilbuddy.antsclimbtree.com' in the user and
>> db
>>  tables in your mysql database?
>>>
>>> That's what I get.  lilbuddy.antsclimbtree.com is the hostname of the
>>> server machine, and I'm doing this from that machine.
>>>
>>> Any idea what's wrong?  Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark Edwards
>>> San Francisco, CA