Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 11:50:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        u923168@student.canberra.edu.au (Gasparovski / Daniel)
Cc:        imp@village.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX now available

> > : % bg >& make.out
> > : [1]+ make world &
> > : %
> > :
> > : Hurrah, the output is now redirected to make.out!
> >
> > I'd give half my left kidney for something like this!  (Pure software
> > already had my right kidney)
>
> Why can't this be done in the shell?

Because credentials are associated with processes instead of being
shared, seperate entities.

It's grossly complicated why this is so, but that's what it boils down
to.  Once that is corrected, you'd still need the way the system deals
with open vnode aliases repaired.  Currently, if P1 opens a file and
P2 opens a file, there are two entries in the system open file table
pointing to a single vnode instead of a single entry with an incremented
reference count.

Without going multiply complex on the list linkage off the system open
file table, that means going to iterating the process open file tables
for things like identd and lsof.  Very expensive, but relatively
infrequent, so perhaps worth it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---