Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 08:35:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BRIDGE breaks ARP? (more info)

Robert Watson wrote:

    > There used to be a kludge that mapped the ether_header.ether_type
    > field of non-IP packets into the UDP port number for the purposes
    > of certain IPFW rules when bridging.  This was pretty awful. :-)

I should add something else.  My bridge =does= pass ARP info between
the two bridged NIC's.  Thus, for example, a machine on the "rl0" side
of the bridge can successfully use a default Internet gateway which is
on the "xl0" side of the bridge (and "arp -a" on the rl0-side machine
shows the hardware address of the xl0-side gateway).

So the problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with ARP bridging.
Even though ARP packets are being passed through the bridge, the bridge
itself doesn't reply to ARP requests asking it for its own MAC address.
(Or, to be more precise, it sometimes does send out ARP replies, but
only sporadically and unpredictably.)

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/