Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 20:18:07 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Max Calvo <max.calvo@maxcalvo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Building system from scratch

Max Calvo wrote:

> I want to install a base FreeBSD system, from this base installation I want
> to build X with E and GNOME. Can anybody recommend a list of sources in the
> order that they should be compiled?

Huh?

Step one: Read the handbook (/usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html, online:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html). Start at the chapter: IV. Advanced
Topics; 18. The Cutting edge
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html). This explains (in simple
steps) how to get the source to your machine, as well as how to rebuild
everything (including X) except E and gnome. For the latter,
    cd /usr/ports/gnome/gnome/gnome-1.0.53
then
    make all install clean
The former can be installed this way, too, just cd to the E directory first.

HTH
-Christoph Sold