Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:09:16 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic on 8/10 -current: sleeping process owns a mutex

In message <3B76DB35.DB46C32F@DougBarton.net>, Doug Barton writes:
>Immediately prior to the crash I was getting a lot of these on the console:
>
>Aug 12 01:00:52 <kern.crit> Master /boot/kernel/kernel:
>/usr/local/src/sys/kern/kern_synch.c:377: sleeping with "mountlist" locke
>d from /usr/local/src/sys/kern/vfs_syscalls.c:548

This should be fixed by revision 1.198 of vfs_syscalls.c. It could
only occur during unmount(), which is why it didn't show up more
often:

iedowse     2001/08/20 12:16:31 PDT

  Modified files:
    sys/kern             vfs_syscalls.c
  Log:
  Avoid sleeping while holding a mutex in dounmount(). This problem
  has existed for a long time, but I made it worse a few months ago
  by by adding calls to VFS_ROOT() and checkdirs() in revision 1.179.

  Also, remove the LK_REENABLE flag in the lockmgr() call; this flag
  has been ignored by the lockmgr code for 4 years. This was the only
  remaining mention of it apart from its definition.

  Reviewed by:  jhb

Ian