Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2010 02:38:07 +0200
From:      Jerome Herman <jherman@dichotomia.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN4BSD removal

  Le 08/10/2010 18:12, Torfinn Ingolfsen a écrit :
> Another thing about VoIP calls: have they solved the "emergency call
> needs a location" problem? Here (again: in Norway) they are still
> working out how to solve this: if you call emergency services (police,
> fire department, etc.) from yout VoIP number; how do the emergency
> center locate you? I mean; how do they know that you are at home,
> and not at say, a cabin half across the country? With old landlines,
> there is no problem; it is always installed at an address.
>
> Just my point of view.

The solution here in France are a mix of many moves, though they are
actually more recommandations than laws

- If it is a fixed place VoIP you have two solutions :
     1) Emergency calls are routed to a plain old analog line
     2) Your system have at least one localized caller-id (sends an
actual phone number instead of sip profile)
     3) Fire alarms and elevators alarms have to be set up using POTS
(this part is actually a law)

- If it is a split VoIP (for exemple an in house virtualized PBX for a
company) :
     1) The different places the virtualized PBX is managing can have
localized caller-id
     2) The caller-id is replaced with the public IP address of the
place (tricky as the number can be mistaken for a real phone nuber.)
     3) Caller name is replaced with the actual address (but again not
every system is configured to display caller-name properly, most ss7
installation trashes it)

- If it is a roaming VoIP (for exemple going through a VPN from your
laptop in a remote place)
     1) You're screwed - some systems try to grab the public address
(through NAPT for exemple) but it doesn't work well

In fact more than a technical solution, it is a legal solution that is
needed. Bascially VoIP system should have a way to request for a local
physical address on the network. And then there should be a way for
firemen and policement to get this informations.
It is neither hard to do, nor does it impair in any way VoIP system. But
there is need for a norm, and right now there are no consortium debating
what should be done that I am aware of.
This said aquiring one localized number per site and playing with
routing tables solves 99% of cases.

Jerome Herman