Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:18:58 +0000
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        "Mark Jacobs" <jacobsm@gate.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial ATA support in FreeBSD

"Mark Jacobs" <jacobsm@gate.net> wrote:

>Received no responses the first time, so am trying again.
>------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-
>I am in the process of building a new system and was looking at=20
>using the new Seagate Barracuda Serial ATA drives.=20
>Does FreeBSD 4.x, or 5.x support SATA?

As I understand it SATA is invisible to the OS, therefore, in theory,
any OS would just see the drive[s] as fast UDMA.  I'd like to hear what
speeds you achieve if you go ahead with the purchase.

=46rom http://www.serialata.org/about/index.shtml

Will Serial ATA be compatible with today's PCs?

Serial ATA electronics and connectors will differ from Parallel ATA,
however the technology is software compatible and OS transparent.
It is anticipated that there will be adapters to facilitate forward-
and backward-compatibility of hard disks on PC systems.

John.