Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:13:07 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best IDE for slow system?

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 11:51:16AM -0700, Stacy Millions wrote:
> I thought I was the last of the vi die hards :-) One other plus

I'm a vi person, but...

Actually, I had a dream a couple of nights ago that I knew all the
emacs metacharacter key bindings and was using them fluidly in that
editor.

> for ant, at least compared to make, is speed. Because make will
> fire up a new javac (and therefore a new VM) for each source
> file it compiles, it can be quite slow. Ant just fire the compiler
> off in a thread of its VM, much faster. The first package I converted
> from make to ant contained about 350 source files. With make, a
> "make clean all" took about 35 minutes, the equivalent with ant
> is less then five minutes. That is on a celeron 333 running FBSD-stable.

Folks should learn both IDE and Unix build tool methods since they'll
be mostly likely using both them in their professional careers. After
all the two major platforms are Win2k and Solaris for doing serious
Java backend work which correspond roughly to GUI/IDE and Unix environments.

That's all the random chat I have today. ;-)

> -stacy

bill