Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 17:26:04 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   patch(1) creates files in working directory

Hi folks,

I have created diffs that I would like to apply to my ports tree in a
batch. The diffs have relative pathnames as follows:

diff -urN mail/exim.ORIG/patches/patch-ac mail/exim/patches/patch-ac
--- mail/exim.ORIG/patches/patch-ac	Thu Jan  1 02:00:00 1970
+++ mail/exim/patches/patch-ac	Mon Aug 24 17:00:30 1998

As per the suggestion in the patch(1) manpage, I ran diff against
original files that didn't exist (well, the manpage says null files, but
I'm assuming it works the same). Hence the weird time on the original
files.

I then have /usr/ports/makefile do the following for me when I do make
patch:

cat /root/localmods/ports/*.patch |diff

I'm careful to do this with /usr/ports as my working directory. To my
dismay, I find the patch-a? and patch-a?.orig files being created in
/usr/ports and _not_ the child directories as I expected.

Can anyone suggest what I should do to have these files created in the
appropriate directories?

Thanks,
Sheldon.