Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:15:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@ethereal.net>
Cc:        James Johnson <jjohnson@spry.com>, "Loic Mahe'" <mahe@twam.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mixing RAM for FreeBSD ?

	Here's the technical hardware answer. SDRAM and Dimms have
different voltages. 5v and 3.2 or I think. According to some tech papers
I saw from Asus, they had a voltage regulator between the two banks of
RAM, but still highly suggested to not run the memory together as it
seemed to effect performace somewhat, and there was still a chance of
all the RAM getting shorted out. So, in my opinion, it's up to you. If
you wish to risk mixing memory, go ahead, many many people have had no
problems. On the same token I've seen two or three that have shorted out.
So....

					Rick