Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:50:59 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        matthew@wolfepub.com (Matthew Hagerty)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 to Stable and ELF Kernel

Matthew Hagerty wrote:

> I just CVSUPed my 3.0-Release with the RELENG_3 tag.  Then I did a
> makeworld and makeinstall.  I also compiled a custom kernel.  All the steps
> went fine, no errors of any kind, but when I typed make install (for the
> kernel) I received a message that said I should ensure my /boot/loader can
> handle ELF kernels.  I went ahead and did the make -DFORCE install and
> rebooted.  Needless to say, I cannot boot with the kernel I made, however I
> can boot kernel.GENERIC.

OK.  I just answered your question on -hackers about updating your boot
code.

> Is 3.0 an ELF system?  I was under the impression that it was.  Also, is
> the system I just made buy CVSUPing and rebuilding an ELF system?  Just out
> curiosity I made a simple C program and compiled it.  I got an a.out binary.
>
> I have seen many references on the web site to commands like aout-to-elf
> and such.  Is this a step I have to perform?

3.0-RELEASE had a default binary type of ELF.  You can use the
objformat(1) command to check on your default, and a command like

    file /bin/ls

to verify the format of your binaries.  If you don't get ELF back
in response, you will have to looking at an aout-to-elf upgrade.

--
Robert Nordier