Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:52:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Marco DiPlacido <mdiplacido@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhcpd help

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Marco DiPlacido wrote:

> i'm a mediaone road runner subscriber running dhclinet
> and natd.  i'm using the following for the
> configuration of my internal network nic vx0:
>
> ifconfig_vx0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> ...i want to make the machines behind the road runner machine dhcp
> clients.
>
> does anyone have a sample dhcpd.conf file that would
> allow me to run a dhcp server on my natd machine?

I'm doing almost the same thing, except my dhcpd is running on one of
the internal machines. Here is the relevant portion of my dhcpd.conf,
edited for broadcast. Actually, this is the entire file minus commented
lines, with some names and numbers changed :^)

--- cut here ---
option domain-name "mydomain.com";
option domain-name-servers one.dns.server.com, other.dns server.com;

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.1.0 {
  range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.115;
  option routers 192.168.1.1;
  option domain-name-servers 1.2.3.4, 5.6.7.8;
}
--- cut here ---

Of course, substitute real names for the obviously bogus ones above. In
that last line, 1.2.3.4 and 5.6.7.8 are supposed to be the real IPs of
my ISP's name servers. Like you, I'm using 192.168.1.1 as the internal
IP of my gateway machine. 100 thru 115 is the range of IPs my server
will hand out to clients.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape