Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 19:43:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Needed: Info on shells and script writing

This is strictly personal opinion: The best shell is the one you
have. sh is _long_ from dead. It's one of the few things you can
count on finding on a Unix system. I do everything I can in the
Bourne shell. If that won't work, I use Perl since you can't count
on any other shell anyway.

Don't know of any books. My source has always been `man sh` as well as
reading scripts. Start with your startup scripts. There is an effort
underway, I think, to collect shell programming tricks and hints.
Watch this list. It looks like it'll be interesting.

Speaking of religious wars, I suggest you learn vi _well_ for the same
reason above -- it is one of the few things you can expect to find on
a Unix system. Again -- the best tool is the one you have.

-- Jay