Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 01:12:38 -0700
From:      Cherie & John Carri <cjcarri@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, cjcarri@earthlink.net
Subject:   slooooow ping reply and 60% packet loss on 3c509

Hi all, I'm a FreeBSD newbie trying to get a FreeBSD web server going
for use on a small local intranet. You can classify me as a layman with
above average understanding of operating systems, but I'm no Unix
sysadmn. With 'The Complete FreeBSD" clutched in one hand I successfully
set up FreeBSD 4.2 on a 200 MHz Pentium (call it Samwise) with a 3c509
NIC . Default kernel settings seem to work, ep0 appears normal, and I
configured the card to IP address 192.168.0.3.

I can ping 192.168.0.3 from a terminal on the same computer (Samwise)
with no problems; I am also running Apache on Samwise, and I can open up
Netscape on Samwise, browse to http://192.168.0.3 and see the HTML pages
I put in Apache's htdocs directory. So it appears that my NIC is
operating correctly, and so is Apache.

This computer is connected via a single crossover cable (no hub) to a
Win98 machine (Frodo) with an SMC 1244TX 10/100 NIC. Frodo has IP
192.168.0.1.
If I ping Frodo from the FreeBSD computer, I get nothing for up to
*twenty seconds* (!), then about 60% packet loss after that. Using
Netscape on Frodo to try to look at http://192.168.0.3 (i.e. at Apache
on Samwise) times out with a "server down or unavailable" message.

I swapped in a spare 3c509 card into the FreeBSD machine, same results.
I hooked up my third computer (Bilbo, 192.168.0.2), also running Win98
and with an SMC 1244TX card, in place of the FreeBSD computer, and the
two Win98 machines happily ping each other with no problems and sub
millisecond reply times, i.e, my cable and the two SMC NIC's are okay,
as are the software settings in the Win98 machines.

What am I dealing with here? Is this a hardware problem with the old
10MHz 3c509 not playing nice with the supposedly auto-negotiating SMC
10/100 cards in deciding at what frequency to run the network, or do I
need to change something in software?  Something to do with allowed
hosts? Suggestions?

TIA,
-John Carri