Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 14:05:17 GMT
From:      "Ahmed Aden" <adenbros@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   wrong root shell kicks me out when I login

Hello,

By accidentally specifying a bogus path when I did a 'chsh' as root, I
managed to lock myself out of the 'root' account because as soon as I
login, it kicks me out.  I tried to boot into single user mode with boot
-s, but it won't let me write to any files in that mode, and that's the
only mode I can access the 'root' account.  I'd rather not re-install the
software, but at this point, I'm out of fresh ideas.  Perhaps there is a
way to enable disk writing in single user mode, but I'm really not sure
how that works, I'm not sure I'm on the mailing list, but please e-mail
aaden@qwestip.net.

You'll see below what happens when I try to 'su' to root:

$ su root
Password:
su: /bin/tcsh: No such file or directory
$

I did the 'chsh' to /bin/tcsh accidentally, it should have been
/usr/local/bin/tcsh, I'm sure there's a way to fix this without
reinstalling.