Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 14:37:31 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Dan Grillo <Dan_Grillo@next.com>
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, g_laslett@motherwell.com.au, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netbios (Samba) routing across TCP/IP

Dan Grillo <Dan_Grillo@next.com> wrote:

> With NT, if there's a backup domain controller on the distant subnet,
> and a backup or primary domain controller for the same domain on your subnet,
> you should be able to browse the distant machine.

Hmmm...I'm trying to setup samba (1.9.16p7 if I remember correctly) at
home...the configuration goes like this:

"gw" - a 386 PC that I'm using as a FreeBSD box to gateway to the outside
       world. I'm running Samba on here.

"nt" - my other "real" PC in its NT 3.51 Workstation mood.  I'm trying to get
       things to a point where this box can browse shares exported from
       "gw", but I can't get it to browse "gw". I also run WfWg 3.11 and
       FreeBSD 2.1.5 on there, but that's not really relevant to this
       question...

I've fiddled with some of the smb.conf settings on "gw" to set its "os
level" to 34 and some other settings that I interpreted as meaning "make
the Samba server the 'master'", but I'm not really familiar with the
lingo here, so I'm not sure (I can just forward my smb.conf file if
anyone's interested).  Running 'testparm' and 'smbclient' (if I remember
correctly) correctly show the shares that I intend to be exporting. From
"nt", I can ftp files off of "gw" and I can use netscape to WWW browse
and POP mail read via "gw", to the connectivity and routing is there, I
think.

Any suggestions?

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org