Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 17:41:49 +0200 (MEST)
From:      d_f0rce@gmx.de
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD performance tuning for UT server

Hi,

I've got a FreeBSD 4.3R server here which is going to be used
as an UnrealTournament gaming server (dedicated server mode
only).

As I do not want to spend any money on this "toy" I would like
to tune it to the max, to be able to serve as many players as
possible. Unfortunately I couldn't find much information on tuning
a FreeBSD server for maximum CPU time. Most topics in the archive
concentrate on tuning FreeBSD for disk IO, but this is not an
issue for an UT-server. Unfortunately I do not have quite an idea
what should be tuned to get the most out of this server. Perhaps
I should start with some technical details:

- FreeBSD 4.3 with Linux wrapper enabled
- UT 4.36 Linux (there is no FreeBSD version)
- AMD K6-2 500
CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (501.14-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping = 12
  Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
  AMD Features=0x80000800<SYSCALL,3DNow!>
K6-family MTRR support enabled (2 registers)

- Mainboard Chipset
pcib0: <AcerLabs M1541 (Aladdin-V) PCI host bridge> on motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
pcib1: <AcerLabs M5243 PCI-PCI bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
isab0: <AcerLabs M1533 portable PCI-ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0

- Adaptec 2940U/UW
- Matrox Millenium II
- Intel Etherexpress Pro 100
- SCSI Disks and CD-Rom, no IDE

My first thought was to tune the kernel to use AMD specific options
like:
# CPU_WT_ALLOC enables write allocation on Cyrix 6x86/6x86MX and AMD
# K5/K6/K6-2 cpus.
Unfortunately I'm not sure if this is good or bad for performance.

Where can I get more information on all these LINT options? Hasn't
there been a LINT-man-page once?
Why was it removed?

I would be glad if someone could point me to some other kernel options
which could help to tune the hardware or performance.

The next step would be to tune the network part. There's much about this
in the mail-archives, but nearly everything is very specific to
specific problems. Again I'm not sure where I have to skrew, to get
the best UDP-performance, as UT is using UDP. I'm getting lots of
"Connection attempt to UDP IP:PORT from IP:PORT" messages while playing
on the server. On the other hand the traffic produced by an UT-server is
not very high - about 3-8kb/s per player - depends on how much action
there is in the game.
Anybody got any tuning tips for me for this part?

The last thing I thought of is the linux wrapper. Is there anything to
do to get most out of it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

--
Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a

http://www.gmx.net