Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:37:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        hackers list FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Windows NT Terminal Server

Mike,

Here's what I found (using Terminal Server + MetaFrame):

(Important point - I have X running at 16bpp.  Also, my FreeBSD box is at
2.2.6-stable)

I have a session running on the Terminal server that I've disconnected
from. The session is running at 800x600 and 256 colors.

Running wfcmgr I set up a session profile (or whatever Citrix calls them).
I only set the name of the server and leave all of the window settings
alone (so they default to 640x480 and 16 colors).

I launch a session.  The window with Citrix "splash screen" appears,
obviously running at 16 colors (the Citrix "guy" looks grainy).  I log in
as myself, expecting to reconnect to my still-running session.  As
expected, the windows expands to 800x600, and then I get a dialog box
labeled "Citrix ICA Client Error" with the message:

	30: The X Request 10.0 caused
	error: "3: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)"

I'm left with only the option of exiting the program.

Sometimes I also see the "Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0xHHH)"
message in the xterm window.

If I do this again and log in as a user that does not have a disconnected
session running (thereby creating a new server session) everything works
fine.

Next, I created another session profile.  This time I set the window
colors setting to 256 (but left the resolution setting at "default).

With this session profile, everything works fine.  The initial splash
screen appears at 640x480 and 256 colors.  I log in to existing session...
window expands to 800x600 and life is good!  (And ____WAY___ faster than
the Java ICA client that I've been suffering with :-).

My conclusion:  The problem seems to be related to the wfica program
trying to change number of window colors when moving between the login and
actual sesssion phases.

Additional data point.  When X runs at 8bpp, wfica (at least for me) runs
with its own private color map... the above problem doesn't seem to occur.
(of course, 8bpp stinks to high heaven...)

But the good news is that there is a workaround!! (Hopefully this is
indeed the same problem that others have seen)

Mike, thankyou thankyou thankyou for doing this port!!!

G'day,
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx