Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:13:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, sos@FreeBSD.org, pst@jnx.com
Subject:   Re: Thoughts on implementation of communications protocols

> I like the suggestion of passing along a "dead/alive" tag with each message.
> That way accounting routines can still get a chance at things which a
> filter has blocked. Everyone else would just pass it along until it gets to
> a protocol switching node which shunts it to the "bit bucket".
>
> - - - - -
>
> Now, here's a scary thought... Would the same kind of mechanism also work
> for file systems? It would certainly make it easy to handle encrypted file
> systems and foreign FS structures.

We could call it "VFS".

8-) 8-0 8-) 8-P

We already have a stacking system for the FS that does what you want;
it just can't collapse stacks to get the equivalent single-layer
implementation.

And that's been hacked on already, it's a matter of integration order.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.