Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:18:39 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Roland Jesse <jesse@mail.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Mysterious core dumps for make and cc1 on a recent -stable machine

>When doing a more or less "big" build (like building vtk or
>buildworld), I am getting core dumps for make, as, and cc1 at
>nondeterministic points during the compilation.
>
>/var/log/messages does not tell much:
>Feb 20 23:47:57 arthur /kernel: pid 17209 (make), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (
>core dumped)
>
>That one happened while doing a "make buildworld":
[...]

I will give you one possible explanation, though I wouldn't claim this
is THE cause of your problem.

You may have over-heating problem.  Even if you are not over-clocking,
your CPU may get too hot when the CPU cooler is wearing out.  This
happened to me a couple of times in the past.  In one case, the CPU
cooler was completely broken in the end.

Check your CPU cooler.  Buy a good one.

Kazu