Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 18:06:44 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, tony@fit.qut.edu.au, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Diskless Dispare...

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > [snip]
> >
> > I think the worst races would be between VOP_READ or VOP_WRITE and vclean.
> > I think that you could cause real damage with one of those :-).
>
> I had a vclean patch to deal with the "free vnode isn't" error a long
> time ago... it was a serious kludge, IMO, since it fixed the symptom
> instead of the problem (which is that vclean is a bad idea).  I think
> the patch would also save us from the race conditions as well.  Are you
> maybe thinking of client side nfsnodes?

I was thinking of an NFS client race where a process could be sleeping in
NFS waiting for an rpc reply and vclean could cut in and start tearing
thing up.  If vclean manages to sleep part way through, then interesting
things could start to happen...

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411