Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 19:38:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk (James Raynard)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD question

James Raynard writes:
>> I log in as root, I cannot run X-windows via the startx command.  The error
>> I get is 'command not found'.  However, when I log in as any other user and
>
> This is because the directory where the startx binary lives is not in
> root's path. You can fix this by editing root's .cshrc file to add
> /usr/X11R6/bin to the list of directories in the path entry.

This will only help if you're using the C shell or tcsh.  If you use
one of the Bourne family, put it in your .profile file instead.  You
should have something like

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/contrib/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

in there.  If you use csh, the entry in your .cshrc should look like

set path=(/bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/contrib/bin /usr/X11R6/bin)

Greg