Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 08:44:18 +0200
From:      kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
To:        frankd@yoda.fdt.net (Frank Seltzer)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Permission denied

Frank Seltzer writes:
> I have just setup a small (2 machine) home network. I can ping from one
> machine to the other fine, but when I try to ftp or telnet from one to the
> other I get:
>
> 	Unable to connect to remote host: Permission denied
>
> I have searched the mail archives and the handbook in vain for a solution.
> Can anyone help me out here?

Looks like something's is very screwed with your installation.
What version of FreeBSD are you running?
How did you install?
Is this the exact message?
Do /usr/libexec and /usr/libexec/telnetd have the right permissions?

> BTW, once I get this straightened out I plan to connect my wife's Win95
> machine to the net. Is there a doc somewhere that will lead me through
> this?

Look for /usr/ports/net/samba (resp. the package) and read through its
docs. Give your FreeBSD the abaility to be server for Win95/WinXX machines.