Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:44:13 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Secondary DNS Transfers

--On Sunday, August 26, 2001 22:18:42 -0700 Ted Mittelstaedt
<tedm@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> And you can't then switch it back on?  We ARE talking about a NEW
> installation here, not testing every time that he updates a record in his
> DNS.

Ok, with a new installation I agree that testing in that way is a sensible
step but if you're just changing zone data it's not.

Even if the slave works, there'd be significant degradation of service if
the master was taken offline because the resolver will round robin the
connections to the nameservers and will have to timeout connecting to the
master. BIND resolvers favour the most resonsive nameserver, typically the
master so that compounds the problem.

> But your suggestion simply won't do that.  All it will do is answer that
> the secondary is indeed ansdering queries - to the person on the
> secondary that is issuing nslookup or dig or whatever he's issuing, at
> the particular moment he's issuing it.  It simply does NOT answer the
> question of will anybody ELSE on the Internet indeed be able to use the
> secondary like they are supposed to do - to provide resolution for the
> domain should the primary go offline.

but I thought that's what the original question asked, "how do you check
that the slave has done the zone transfer successfully?" If you can query
the slave with dig and you can see the changes then it's done the zone
transfer and your setup is working. You really don't need to switch the
master off to do that.

DNS doesn't have a failover mechanism. They're not really primary and
secondary, they're master and slave. The distinction is that the master
holds the master copies of the data and the slave doesn't. In answering
queries they are round-robined so you don't need to switch off the master
to see if the slave suddenly starts answering queries because it has to be
answering queries all the time.

When you add/change a zone you want to be able to check that you've
configured all the nameservers properly to pick up the changes and it *is*
sufficient to query each nameserver in turn to see if they have the new
zone data.

Switching off the master doesn't do anything more to prove that zone
transfers are working over using nslookup/dig.

You're point above argues that switching off the master is the only way to
ensure that connectivity from all around the internet is working to your
slave. That wasn't the original point of the dicussion but nevertheless, I
still can't see what switching off the master will do over testing the
nameservers using nslookup from several different points on the internet.

You can't test from everywhere, no tool can do that, but if you do some
tests from different points you can be pretty sure there's no fundamental
misconfiguration on your side of things. Switching off the master doesn't
prove anything beyond that.

> Your also deliberately ignoring that the original poster indicated that he
> wasn't willing to pick up the phone and call the admin of the primary (or
> even e-mail the admin of the primary) to do it the right way.  I made it
> clear in the original posting and subsequently that any kind of testing or
> instrumentation was inferior to actually verifying by voice with the other
> nameserver admin.

That's not always practical. If you know the sysadmin who's running your
nameserver then yes you can do that, though again, you won't find out
anything that nslookup can't tell you. In a lot of cases though getting to
speak to the admin is impossible. If your nameserver is with an ISP then
invariably you can't get through to the people who actually run the systems.

> You would probably continue to argue that once he's verified that things
> "work" through the inferior method of attempting to query the nameserver,
> that he should STILL not switch off the primary for a few days to make
> absolutely sure that things really do work.  All I can say is that backup
> systems are NEVER properly tested if you don't actually cut over to them
> to make the test.

Slave's are not backup systems, you're implying this is a failover test and
that's not how DNS works.

> It's like testing a UPS.  APC makes a great line of UPS's that have all
> sorts of fancy "test" modes that claim to test the UPS - but if your
> going to put that UPS into a hospital and have it control some surgical
> equipment, you test it by pulling the plug.  You don't trust someone's
> life to what some dumb $5.00 computer says in a UPS.

but you don't test it by pulling the plug when it's already got equipment
plugged into it that's in use, in case it doesn't work :-)

Paul Richards
FreeBSD Services Ltd
http://www.freebsd-services.com