Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 2002 13:41:49 +0100
From:      Oscar-Ivan Lepe-Aldama <oscar.lepe@acm.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Disklabel lost and found thanks to OpenBSD

Here, I want to document how I manage to rescue the disk label of the
FreeBSD partition of my computer's disk. After "Googling" the list, it
seams that no one has previously reported a succesful disk label
recovery history. And I beleive it would be usefull. Hope it is.

Some time ago I managed to corrupt the disk label of the FreeBSD
partition of my computer's disk while updating Windows, which at that
time resided on a contiguos partition. I didn't have backups of the disk
label so I was in trouble. I received some help from David K. (thanks
David) but unfortunately I couldn't take advantage of this help to
rescue the disk label. Then, I found on the net that OpenBSD includes as
standard equipment a /sbin/scan_ffs command. So, I bought a new disk,
installed it on my computer and installed OpenBSD 3.0 onto it. After
learning the OpenBSD way of managing disks (which is notably different
from the FreeBSD way) I manage to use scan_ffs for recovering the lost
disk label. Thanks to the OpenBSD people.

Oscar,