Date:      16 Nov 2001 12:59:44 +0200
From:      Jussi Reissell <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
To:        Dave <dloose@wpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Deskjet Woes

Dave <dloose@wpi.edu> writes:

>    Ok.  I've lived with this problem for a few months now but it really is
> starting to bother me.  I set up my printer using apsfilter using the
> 'hpdj' driver.  Now, this is a color printer, so I have, at times,
> specified different settings for the color option.  I often leave it set to
> 'default', but I have tried several other options as well (8bpp, 24bpp,
> 32bpp).  None of these seem to enable color printing though.
>
>    So, what am I doing wrong?  Has anyone else managed to get color
> printing to work on this printer (it's an HP 842C -- I actually got it
> because someone recommended it for FreeBSD).  Am I using the wrong driver?
> The wrong filter?

Sorry, no experience with the 842C. I got crappy colors with the hpdj
driver on a 895Cxi or something. In my case the cdj880 driver provides
better color printing. There's a hpijs driver somewhere out there:

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

which is supposed to be of unsurpassed quality. Apsfilter just doesn't
support it yet.

Meanwhile, with apsfilter, you can try out selecting different drivers
and then spit out the test page. And then set up printers with the
best drivers/options for each printing task.

It's also useful to check out the man pages for the different gs
drivers. They provide more specific info on supported printers.