Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 2002 17:26:33 -0800
From:      "Raistlin A. Majere" <raistlin@preston.pinemeadowgolf.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   slow perl string concats on FreeBSD 4.5

I'm trying use perl on FreeBSD and am having huge performance issues.  I
took a script off a linux machine and ran it on my new FreeBSD machine
and what took 9 seconds on linux is taking 56 seconds on FreeBSD.  The
machines run identical hardware and both run perl 5.6.1.

I wrote a little test program to demonstrate the differences in speed of
execution.  Does anyone know how to make perl concat strings more
efficiently?

#!/usr/bin/perl

$result ="";
$begin = time;
for ($i = 0; $i < 1000000;) {
        $i++;

#comment the following line to get freebsd perl to run as fast as linux
perl
        $result .= "$i\n";
}
$duration = time - $begin;