Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:48:22 +0100
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Patrick Li <pat@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, dirk@FreeBSD.org, skv@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/46268: linker error in mod_php4 because missing -lstdc++ in textproc/sablotron

Patrick Li wrote:
> Synopsis: linker error in mod_php4 because missing -lstdc++ in textproc/sablotron
                                                                  ^^^^^

> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-ports->dirk
> Responsible-Changed-By: pat
> Responsible-Changed-When: Sun Dec 15 18:29:13 PST 2002
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
> Over to maintainer

This should be over to skv@FreeBSD.org, because he is the maintainer of
textproc/sablotron (AFAIK). The problem occures in www/mod_php4 but the
error couldn't be solved there but in textproc/sablotron. I think much
more, the real fix could only be in /usr/bin/c++ because it doesn't
generate this library dependency by itself even it exists.

libsablot.so uses c++ library calls like new[] and those requires the
libstdc++ - c++ automatically adds them, cc doesn't. If you build a
library using c++ and building an application using that library using
cc, the linking information (dependency) for (let's say:
libsablot.so.69) the c++ build library is missing and the link / load
will fail.

Maybe the solution is using STL in world instead of stdc++, but it's not
the time discussing it now. I'm sure the core team is discussing that,
but not before 5.0-RELEASE. But I think this patch for
textproc/sablotron should be proved and applied, because running
mod_php4 would be nice for 5.0-CURRENT.

Jens
--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W