Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 03:23:07 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        ache@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Subject:   Re: ld.so, LD_NOSTD_PATH, and suid/sgid programs

In message <199510240014.RAA21318@aslan.cdrom.com> Justin T. Gibbs
    writes:

>>In message <199510232319.QAA21109@aslan.cdrom.com> Justin T. Gibbs
>>    writes:
>>
>>>UN*X systems have clasically given you a shotgun powerfull enough
>>>to blow your foot off.  If you are knowledgeable enough to use
>>>LD_NOSTD_PATH, then you should know its effects.  Since it is not
>>>a security problem, I don't think it should be removed (as I said
>>>in other mail on this subject).
>>
>>Well, but already existen shell scripts, i.e. admin things knows
>>nothing about possibility of failing via LD_NOSTD_PATH.
>>I.e. when they calls "su -c ..." they assume that this command
>>NOT fails. They even disable ^C somethimes to be shure.
>>But LD_NOSTD_PATH as very recent addition and I see no one
>>script which care of it.

>But anyone who sets LD_NOSTD_PATH will not be able to run *anything*
>shared unless the have a sane LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  This is not a
>shell script only problem and I don't think the change is appropriate.

Well, we have a lot static utils, i.e. whole /bin, /sbin and
few from other places. They still works in this situation.
Moreover, current shared shell works too, it is already in memory.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -