Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:16:15 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        =?koi8-r?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: entropy reseeding is totally broken

In message <20001020084845.A19580@nagual.pp.ru> =?koi8-r?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= writes:
: In very recent -current, my entropy file writted and readed sucessfully,
: but I got the same fortune quote again and again right after reboot!
:
: It means that anything writted to /dev/random not reseed it but _reset_ it
: to the same default state.

I see the opposite.  I see that without writing to the /dev/random
device I get a cons is an object that cares fortune 99+% of the time
on my first login.  With it, I see more decently random fortunes (but
I haven't done a statistical analysis of them to see how random things
are).

Warner