Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 08:21:14 +0100
From:      Thomas Seidmann <tseidmann@SIMULTAN.CH>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT and related stuff

Hi Karl,

Karl Denninger wrote:
> 1.      Have a small "external" network connected via ISDN to the world -
>         say, two usable addresses (the router and the FreeBSD box).

If your question is whether the use of NAT is appropriate for this
situation, then the answer is yes.

> 2.      Have an unlimited number of internal machines connected to
>         the "inside network", with their addresses served (most of them
>         anyway) by DHCP.

Same as above.

> 3.      Have a couple of internal machines that have "exposed" things - that
>         is, for example, 192.168.1.1:80 really shows up as
>         205.164.6.10:2222.

The "redirect_address"-feature, aka static NAT is suitable for this.
More in natd(8).

> 4.      Anyone on an internal machine can browse the net, etc -
>         transparently.  I can run DNS on the local FreeBSD machine (and do
>         currently), so that part is not a problem.

Ditto.

I don't quite understand your question, i.e. what do you want to know.
Let me know if I can help you further.

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas Seidmann
Senior IT systems architect
Simultan AG, CH-6246 Altishofen, Switzerland
mailto:tseidmann@simultan.ch           tel +41.62.7489000
http://www.simultan.ch/~thomas         fax +41.62.7489010