Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 1996 09:59:04 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        zack@new-mind.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hitatchie ATAPI CdRom ?

Zachary Buckholz wrote:

> The following page makes refrence to a file which I can not seem to
> locate, along with my cd purchase from cdrom.com I recieved a book
> entitled The Complete FreeBSD, this book also makes refrence to a
> atapi.flp file and ATAPIFLP.BAT which it says are located in the
> /cdrom/floppies directory, well I searched the entire disk with two
> seperate search utilities and could not locate either. Are these files
> available via the net? I searched the FreeBSD.org site and find several
> refrences to the files but not the files them selves. Currently I have
> taken my old tandy single speed rom drive which is rusted and majorly
> corroided from moisture, and this appears to be working except for a
> read error every once in a while, but you may like to know that TANDY
> single speed drives (which I think are mitsumi) work without any changes
> to the install command. If you have any suggestions on how to make my
> Hitatchie x4 speed drive work please let me know, or if you know where I
> can locate the above mentioned files please let me know. I appreciate
> your time, and thank you.
>
> Page that is displayed at FreeBSD.org that makes refrence to above
> mentioned files.
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook13.html
>
> thanks
> zack@new-mind.com

The doc's are from 2.1.0 times, while I assume you install 2.1.5 (or
later). In that case, ATAPI support is built into the boot.flp image.
The best chanecs of having your CD work is configure it as the slave on
the primary EIDE controller on your motherboard. It may also work as the
master on the secondary controller.

Nadav