Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 16:40:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie PPP and dail-in question

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Ken Marsh wrote:

> I've been looking around for PPP manpages, webpages, chapters in books,
> etc., but one thing still eludes me in a big way:
>
> I can use user ppp to manually connect to my University via the dail in
> facility, and then use thier system to do e-mail, ftp, etc. However, it is
> more like I have a remote shell going than a real connection. For example,
> when I ftp a file, it goes to my university account, not my home FreeBSD
> box. Also, if I run pine on my local FreeBSD box, I can't send any mail.
>
> I still can't figure out how to ftp files from the University to home.
>
> I don't know if it is something I have to configure with PPP or if I have
> to setup my e-mail and ftp packages to use the PPP connection.

You're getting a login shell, not a ppp connection.  It's something with
ppp.  If it doesn't change to capital letters, you don't have a
connection.  Probably the routing tables aren't getting completed.
With user ppp I think you have to switch consoles to be able to do
anything; then do netstat -rn; you might have to add a default route
back to the university.

> The Windoze setup was idiot-proof, so I have no experience in this at all.
>
> What am I missing here? Is there a doc or web page that will explain how
> to use local e-mail and ftp with ppp?

ftp should "be there" by default; if you can send mail from one user
to another on your own machine, it should also be able to send it out
while you've got the ppp connection, probably without doing anything
to sendmail.  Whatever mail program you use, you probably have to set
it up with a "Reply to" address or you won't get answers going to the
right place.  The handbook pages on client user ppp are pretty good on
this.

> Ken Marsh

				Annelise