Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 01:40:58 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from NT ?

On Sep 28,  2:20am, "Allen Smith" wrote:

} Question... what does happen if one has a R/O root filesystem,
} including /dev, without DEVFS? I'm constructing a firewall computer
} with a (switchable - a nice facility of some Seagate drives) hard
} drive for root, a second writeable drive for /var and swap, and a /tmp
} MFS. What problems am I likely to run into with /dev? I'd really
} prefer not to have it as a symlink to /var/dev or some such...

You won't be able to chown() and chmod() the tty devices when you log in.
Before /dev/log was made a symlink to /var/run/log, syslogd wouldn't be
able to create /dev/log.