Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 16:01:17 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] question about multiple domains and Sendmail

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU

On 12/02/01 09:34 PM, Simon J Mudd sat at the `puter and typed:
> I've almost forgotten how to use sendmail, but ...
>=20
> leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org (Louis LeBlanc) writes:
>=20
> > Hey all. Forgive the OT question,  but I figured this list would yield
> > the quickest and most useful responses (a little ego stroking :).
> >=20
> > I am running sendmail, and handling  mail for multiple domains. Two of
> > those domains  have a  similar address: webmaster@<domain>.  Well, I'm
> > not doing something right, because they all go to the same place.
> >=20
> > I have the following setup in /etc/mail/local-host-names:
> > #####################
> > domain1.com
> > domain2.com
> > . . .
> >=20
> >=20
> > And in /etc/mail/aliases:
> > #####################
> > webmaster@domain1.com	alias1
> > webmaster@domain2.com	alias2
> > . . .
>=20
> The /etc/mail/aliases file has a format which is as follows:
>=20
> local_user:     another_address@some.domain
> local_user2:    another_address2@a.domain
>=20
> The left hand side should NOT contain an @anything as it represents
> LOCAL aliases for the domains which are treated as a final
> destination.  (I think sendmail.cf's Cw entry ??)
>=20
> So you shouldn't be using /etc/mail/aliases
>=20
> I think you should be using the virtusertable and in that file you
> would specify the addresses as you've done above, though I would
> include the appropriate domain suffix for each alias.
>=20
> After creating the entries you then need to use makemap to generate
> the .db file that sendmail uses.
>=20
> You'll have to check the man page for the exact specifics.
>=20
> Hope this (sort of) helps.
>=20
> Simon

Yes,  you hit  it  right on  the  head.  I fixed  the  domains in  the
virtusertable, rebuilt  the .db file,  and everything is  working like
magic. Thanks!

I feel kinda silly for forgetting all about the virtusertable!

Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     =D4=BF=D4=AC

The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science
requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship.
    -- Robert Heinlein

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU--