Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2001 20:49:36 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Xavier O'Neill" <xoneill@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting fat partitions problem

Xavier O'Neill <xoneill@hotmail.com> types:
> I have 2 20 GB diisks.

You also seem to be confused about disk partitions. Then again -
FreeBSD chose to keep historic unix usage, and not historic DOS usage,
so it's confusing when you first encounter it.

> Primary disk first partition win98 install
> Primary disk second partition fat32 whcih i could is set up as an extended /
> logical drive

In FreeBSD parlance, these are "slices", not partitions. DOS
partitions are called slices. What Unix has historically called
partitions are still called partitions. A FreeBSD slice has multiple
partitions inside of it (and we'll ignore DD disks), and those are
what you put file systems (or swap) on, and mount.

> Scond disk first partition freebsd (/)
> Second disk second partition  /usr
> Second third partition swap
> Second 4th partition fat32

Give the above, this doesn't make a lot of sense. If you could sort
out which are slices and which are partitions, it would help.

Better yet, the output of fdisk for both drives and the output of
mount after you've got what works mounted would help.

	<mike