Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:48:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Niels Kroon <niels@hot.cl>
To:        Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to install two FreeBSD releases a single disc? (fwd)

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Igor Roshchin wrote:

> On 7 December 1998, Mike Smith proclaimed:
> > > I like to install FreeBSD 2.2.7 (2.2.8) and 3.0 on the same disc.
> > > Because the FreeBSD boot loader looks for the first compatibility slice, it
> > 's
> > > only possible to boot from the first installed release (first slice).
> >
> > Install the 'new' bootstrap from 3.0 on both the 2.2 and 3.0 slices.
> > See the 'disklabel' manpage; the new bootstrap lives in the files
> > /boot/boot1 and /boot/boot2 on the 3.0 install's root filesystem.
>

> Hello, Mike,
>
> About a month ago you wrote the above mentioned message.
>
> I could not get it loading from the second slice of the same disk
> in the configuration where two different versions of FreeBSD reside on
> one hard drive on different slices.
>
> I think I might be missing something.
>
> Let me also ask you what you meant by talking about having the bootstrap
> "on both slices".
> Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the bootstrap is installed
> on a disk, and not per slice.
>
> Another question - how do you specify in the /etc/boot.config -
> which slice to boot up from ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Igor

Hi,

I installed FreeBSD 3.0 on /dev/wd0s1 and did a "disklabel -B /dev/wd0s1"
for the new bootloader.  Then I installed 2.2.8 also on /dev/wd0s2
(because I encountered a lot of "cannot make makefiles errors" while
compiline ports which use imake, like xv and xpaint, installing 2.2.8
solves this problem, anyone?)

For default loading the kernel from the 2.2.8 partition I specified in
/boot/boot.conf on the 3.0 partition this:

set rootdev=disk2s2a:
set currdev=disk2s2a:

Maybe you have another disk number, but check this maualy by breaking the
boot process, the prompt shows the current disk number.

Niels