Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 23:41:52 -0800
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome 2 on FreeBSD 4.7p3 -- multiple issues

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 09:14  AM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 12:07, Mark Edwards wrote:
>> 1) Is there any way to run xscreensaver with gdm2?  With gdm, there
>> was a Background option in the config tool, but that's gone.
>
> What do you mean?  Run xscreensaver while gdm itself is running (i.e.
> no
> user logged in)?  I've never done this, but there are quite a few
> configuration options in the /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf that are not
> in
> the GUI tool.

I figured this out.  gdm2 has removed the BackgroundProgram feature
from the configuration gui, but it still exists in gdm.conf.  You have
to set

BackgroundProgram=/usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver -nosplash

and also

RunBackgroundProgramAlways=true

However, it doesn't seem to work with the new graphical greeter.
That's what got me.  Use the default greeter, and set the above
settings in gdm.conf (and put an .xscreensaver in the gdm home
directory) and you get xscreensaver during the login window.

>> 2) gdm2 crashes if I go to the configure tool, close, then go to the
>> configure tool again.  I saw this same behavior in gdm, and it was
>> solved by starting via /etc/ttys, I think.  Is there anyway to fix
>> this?  Basically, once I go to the configure tool, I have to resart
>> gdm2 if I want to go to the configure tool again.
>
> I haven't seen this, but I'll take a look.

I think I spoke too quickly on this one.  It appears that on second
load, the gdm configure tool just takes a really long time on my
machine.  I mistook this for the crashing that I saw with gdm under
gnome 1.4, which I originally solved by a re-install.  Sorry for the
false alarm!

>> 3) I followed the directions to get font anti-aliasing working, and I
>> do have GDK_USE_XFT set to 1 via .gnomerc.  However, I don't see any
>> difference in anti-aliasing.  There was some anti-aliasing before I
>> did anything at all, for instance in mozilla some fonts are
>> anti-aliased.  But there is none in the gnome2 desktop even after the
>> new settings.  What am I missing?  Do I just need to add the proper
>> fonts or something?
>
> You need to make sure your XftConfig is setup correctly, and you have
> the latest freetype2.  It hardly merits any work now as I'm on the
> verge
> of committing GNOME 2.2 which no longer requires GDK_USE_XFT.

I've done a bit of work on this, despite your suggestion not to, and
I'm still coming up short.  I found a tutorial that suggests

xdpyinfo | grep -c -i render

as a test to see if XFree86 is including render support.  Doing this on
my system returns 0 instead 1 which the tutorial says is necessary for
anti-aliasing.  The tutorial says "wait until XFree86 supports Render
on your graphics card."  This is an old machine with an ATI Mach64 CT,
so I would believe it is unsupported, however ...

What's strange is that anti-aliasing is clearly occurring in a few
places for me, most notably in Mozilla.  In Mozilla Mail, a message
displayed in fixed-width font (Courier) is quite clearly anti-aliased,
next to a variable-width font (Times) that is not.  Zooming the text to
600% makes this quite evident.

I also have seen anti-aliased text in the gdm2 graphic greeter.  These
two examples existed even before I had added GDK_USE_XFT to my
environment, or followed any of the directions in the FAQ for enabling
anti-aliased text.  So, there is anti-aliasing going on without any
settings whatsoever, but following the directions in the FAQ, adding
all my font directories to XftConfig, and setting "match edit
antialias=true;" in that file, still results in most fonts not being
anti-aliased.

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

--
Mark Edwards