Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 06:10:00 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net>
Cc:        brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setup Questions on system with 3 hds.

[Format recovered from top posting.]

Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net> types:
> On Thursday 15 November 2001 15:10, brain_damaged wrote:
> > Currently I have two freebsd 4-3 machines running
> > ad0 is the 1.2 gig
> > ad1 is the 4.3 gig
> > ad2 is the 13 gig
> >
> > I also want to log all logs to another machine as in the security page
> > description setup. However in case that doesn't work well or dies then I
> > want to be able to have a /var slice to change the logging back too.
> > So little confused on the best long run setup

This is a common question, and the best answer is to think about what
you're going to be doing with the system, and set things up the best
way for that.

> You ALWAYS want to break up your mount points, this minimizes file corruption
> and keeps the / partition safer.

While that used to be true, and may still be true for linux systems,
it's not true for FreeBSD systems. There are three reasons for this:

    1) File systems are much more robust than they used to be, though
       you can break that with carefully chosen mount flags

    2) Disks drives have higher MTBF than they used to. RA81s used to
       be very popular on unix machines, and few of them lasted a year
       without a major failure. These days you get five year warranties.

    3) The cost of having a system down is much lower than it used to
       be. When all the companies computing was done on a VAX of some
       kind, having it down meant the company was dead in the water.
       Now that everyone has a machine on their desk, the company as a
       whole can pretty much ignore one machine being down.

With those three things in mind, all creating extra mount points does
is creates more things to run out of space. The only reason to break
things off the root is for administrative reasons.

So, here's what my opinion is, assuming you want swap:

ad0: /, swap
ad1: /usr/local, swap
ad2: /home, swap

Splitting swap is a good thing, and should be as close to the same
size as possible. If you know some directory on / or /usr/local is
going to hold lots of data, create a directory for it on /home and
symlink from / or /usr/local to that directory. /var/log is a good
example. Databases would be another.

Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.