Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 18:38:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Philipp  <philipp@globalserve.net>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finger and getpwent

Tom I think you should look deeper into the getpw* functions when you say
/etc/passwd isn't used for anything and /etc/master.passwd is.  I'm
dissapointed you did not mention /etc/spwd.db and /etc/pwd.db which are
the databases accessed by getpw*().  As far as /etc/*passwd is concerned
those are great for building the databases and administrative duties but
other than that don't really serve a point.

Yes /etc/master.passwd is used for pwd_mkdb to build the databases so it
serves a purpose other than that I can't think of any.

As for Paolo, commenting out users is a nono, if you want to lock an
account make sure the first character of the pw_passwd field is a *.  This
is usually the easiest method.

Peter Philipp (PP2441)
Globalserve System Administration
"How I wish you were here..." - Pink Floyd